Those wonderful 80s: During which I hung out with Martin Raff and the great people of the Neuroimmunology project, began working intermediate filaments (with E. Birgitte Lane), moved to NYC to work with Lee Rubin, got lucky and got married to Hillary Browne, got a job at UC Boulder, started a lab, discovered Xenopus (with the generous help of John Gerhart) and oh so much more (like having babies and staying married)!
17. Dent, J.A., A.G. Polson & M.W. Klymkowsky. 1989. A whole-mount immunocytochemical analysis of the expression of the intermediate filament protein vimentin in Xenopus. Development105: 61-74.
Klymkowsky, M.W., E. Christian, R.G. Ham, D.J. Plummer& F. Sprenger. 1988. Giant axonal neuropathy, intermediate filaments and cellular metabolism. in Intrinsic Determinants of Neuronal Form. Alan R. Liss, Inc., pp. 441-459.
16. Murti, K.G., R. Goorha & M.W. Klymkowsky. 1988. A functional role for intermediate filaments in the formation of frog virus 3 assembly sites. Virology.162: 264-269.
15. Klymkowsky, M.W. 1988. Metabolic inhibitors and intermediate filament organization in cultured human fibroblasts. Exp. Cell Res174: 282-290.
13. Spurck, T., J. Pickett-Heaps & M.W. Klymkowsky. 1986. Metabolic inhibitors and mitosis: II. Effects of DNP/DOG & nocodazole on microtubules. Protoplasma131: 60-74.
12. Spurck, T., J. Pickett-Heaps & M.W. Klymkowsky. 1986. Metabolic inhibitors and mitosis: I. Effects of DNP/DOG & nocodazole on living cells. Protoplasma131: 47-59.
11. Klymkowsky, M.W. & D.J. Plummer. 1985. Giant axonal neuropathy: A conditional mutation affecting cytoskeletal organization. J. Cell Biol.100: 245-250.
10. Rubin, L.L., N.A. Chalfin, A. Adamo & M.W. Klymkowsky. 1985. Cellular and secreted forms of acetylcholinesterase in mouse muscle cultures. J. Neurochem.45: 1932-1940.
7. Klymkowsky, M.W. 1982. Vimentin and keratin intermediate filament systems in culture PtK2 epithelial cells are interrelated. EMBO J. 1: 161-165.
6. Klymkowsky, M.W. 1981. Intermediate filaments in 3T3 cells collapse after the intracellular injection of a monoclonal anti-intermediate filament antibody. Nature 291: 248-251.